What it is: Seated Twist pose is a great pose that students can do right at their desk. It provides a great quick mind break, especially if students have been sitting for long periods, such as during finals week.
Why we love it: This pose doesn’t require any equipment, so it can be done anywhere, anytime. It stretches the shoulders, joints and spine, and helps increase mobility and flexibility.
How to do it:
- Sit up tall and press your feet into the floor.
- Breathe in and lift your arms out, up, and over your head.
- Breathe out and cross your left hand to your right knee to pull yourself into a twist, pulling your belly in.
- Reach your right arm behind you to rest on the back of your chair. Look over your shoulder.
- Hold this Seated Twist Pose for three deep breaths.
- Repeat on the other side.
Our amaZEN U video demos a chair with this pose, but you could just as easily do it on the floor. Students will relish the upper body stretch, and you’ll love the minimal interruption to the lesson or task at hand.
For this pose and other great yoga and mindfulness videos, visit www.amazenu.com. A subscription to our nearly 100 videos is only $5 per month – and we offer a trial month for free!